The Bevilacqua La Masa Foundation was founded in 1898 shortly after the Biennale of Venice. It owes its name to its founder Felicita Bevilacqua, widow to General La Masa. Felicita Bevilacqua left her family palace, Cà Pesaro, which is located along the Grand Canal, to the City of Venice under the condition that it should be used as a place for artistic culture in the city.
Thus the Bevilacqua La Masa Foundation was founded and rapidly became a point of reference and launching pad for young artists such as Boccioni, Casorati, Semeghini, Gino Rossi and Arturo Martini, to name just a few.
Since its 100th anniversary in 1999, the Bevilacqua La Masa space has hosted exhibitions dedicated to artists such as Jean-Michel Basquiat, Louise Bourgeois, Joseph Beuys, Milton Glaser, Shirin Neshat, Frida Kahlo, Sonia Delaunay, and to the critic Giuseppe Marchiori.
Intended as a space for young artistic research, the Bevilacqua La Masa Foundation continues to pursue its mission after a century of existence. Its goal is to remain true to its founding principles while favouring and welcoming the realization of new and emerging events.
The Foundation's main exhibition site is located in Piazza San Marco, under the porticos of the Procuratie Nuove. The exhibition space is located on two floors and is dedicated to historical as well as contemporary exhibitions. The Foundation also owns some lateral window displays giving onto Seconda Calle de l'Ascension that are occasionally employed for temporary exhibition.