Sesame is proud to present Behind the Mask, an exhibition about who we are, what we want, what we fear and how we hide it, articulated through the figurative painting of five artists.
Sexuality and desire, curiosity and fear, aggression and vulnerability? All are aspects of human interaction that inform this collection of work:
- the penetrating portraits on metal by Matthew Small
- the graphic, gritty urban characters of Tim Blake
- the imaginary fluid portraits of Japanese artist Yuko Nasu
- the raw page 3 models of Canadian artist Jody Boehnert
- and the monumental archetypal figures of Peter Michael.
Together they create a portrait of the driving forces that brings us together and simultaneously keep us apart.