The Naughton Gallery is named after its generous benefactors Martin and Carmel Naughton. Since 2001, The Gallery has become one of Belfast's most sought after and exciting visual arts platforms, featuring a rolling programme of works from the University's own collection, touring exhibitions and shows by local and international artists. The Naughton Gallery is a registered museum.
The Naughton Gallery presents up to eight exhibitions per year and also co-ordinates commissions of new art works for Queen's University. The University's extensive art collection comprises gifts, bequests and purchases since the foundation of Queen's College in 1845. The wide range of works includes paintings, prints, works on paper, sculpture, furniture, metalwork and silver. The collection is on display throughout the University with an impressive hang of over forty portraits in the Great Hall.
The Gallery welcomes 16,000 annual visitors including a significant number of international tourist visitors and is listed in Ten of the Best university galleries in the UK and Ireland by The Times Higher. The Gallery was the winner of the Times Higher Education Award for Excellence & Innovation in the Arts 2008