Pinacoteca de São Paulo is a museum of visual arts with an emphasis on Brazilian production from the nineteenth century to the present day. Founded in 1905 by the São Paulo State Government, it is the city’s oldest art museum.
It was set up in the old building of the Liceu de Artes e Ofícios [School], designed in the late nineteenth century by the architectural firm of Ramos de Azevedo, and later underwent an extensive renovation project designed by architect Paulo Mendes da Rocha, in the late 1990s.
In 2004, Pinacoteca incorporated the Largo General Osório building, which originally housed warehouses and offices of Sorocabana Railroad. The building was completely renovated by architect Haron Cohen, and the name was changed to Estação Pinacoteca, currently known as Pina_Estação, to receive part of the program of temporary exhibits.
The Memorial to the São Paulo Resistance is located on the ground floor, created in the part of the building that housed the Department of Political and Social Order of the State of São Paulo (Deops/SP), from 1940 to 1983. The institution is dedicated to preserving the memories of the resistance and the political repression of republican Brazil.