10 Jun 2017 – 17 Sep 2017
Situated on the beautiful view overlooking the Karlsaue, the Neue Galerie houses the municipal and state art collections.
The building, erected as a picture gallery between 1871 and 1877 according to the plans of the architect Heinrich von Dehn-Rotfelser (1825-1885), originally housed the already famous painting collection of Landgrave Wilhelm VIII of Hesse-Kassel (reg 1730 / 51-1760). After a reconstruction of the building to a city residence during the French occupation under Jérôme Bonaparte (reg 1807-1813) the building could no longer be used for exhibition purposes. The necessary new building was modeled on the Alte Pinakothek in Munich.
In the Second World War, the building suffered serious damage and was then endangered by a long period of demolition. After a relocation of the Gemäldegalerie Alte Meister as well as the holdings of the 18th century to Wilhelmshöhe Castle in 1962, the reconstruction of the gallery building as a modern home was begun.
In connection with the restructuring of the Kassel museum landscape, the building under the management of the Berlin office Staab Architekten was extensively renovated and modernized. Since then, the Neue Galerie presents regional, international and international painting, sculpture and new media from the 19th to the 21st century.
Since the 1960s, the Neue Galerie has also been repeatedly used as a temporary exhibition venue for the documenta and is therefore closely linked to this prestigious exhibition of contemporary art, alongside the collection of documenta art works.