Dragons & Snakestones
09 Mar 2018 – 24 May 2018
Lyme Regis Museum
Lyme Regis, United Kingdom
About the Building
The building has great idiosyncratic charm. Built in 1901, it was commissioned by Thomas Philpot, a relative of the Philpot sisters who had worked with Mary Anning. The architect was George Vialls, who also designed the Town Hall next door.
Following a chequered history, by 1991 the building was badly in need of repair. Largely thanks to a team of committed volunteers, a major refurbishment of the building and displays was carried out in the late 1990s.
About the Museum
The museum is run by a Director and small staff team, supported by a fantastic group of volunteers, including Front of House volunteers, Gallery Guides, Local History Research and Curatorial Team. The museum is fully Accredited with the Museums Libraries and Archives Council.
The museum is packed with interesting and quirky displays. Our collections are unusually rich for a small museum and we have a lot of good stories to tell. Lyme’s lively local history is well represented by maritime and domestic objects, and illustrated by paintings, prints and photographs. The area is noted for its fossils, displayed in our geological galleries, and the town’s literary connections, from Jane Austen to John Fowles, are illustrated in the Writers Gallery.