LABOR was founded in September, 2007 as a joint initiative of C³ Center for Culture & Communication Foundation (C3), the Studio of Young Artists’ Association (FKSE) and the Hungarian University of Fine Arts (MKE) in place of the former Studio Gallery. From 2009 til 2011 tranzit.hu – contemporary art program joined the collaboration.
LABOR is a platform where the objectives of partner institutions appear jointly:
- support of emerging artists
- projects related to the contemporary art education
- experimental initiatives advancing or reflecting on the structural changes of the contemporary art world
- cooperation between art and the scientific and technical domains
- events organized in the framework of international collaborations
The purpose of this collaboration is to create a flexible, shared (art) space that provides a platform for art research as well as exhibitions, projects and occasional events. LABOR aims to emphasize the social responsibility of contemporary art and its knowledge-generating role. It organizes discursive programs to strengthen the debate- and discussion-culture of the local art world involving other fields of culture. LABOR creates a reading room and a library where current theoretical texts, magazines, and publications on visual culture will be available for research.