Where the Place Begins / Five Stone is Laid on Stone
23 May 2015
Kunsthaus Dahlem is an exhibition venue for postwar German modernism (from East and West) supported by funds from the Berlin Senate Chancellery—Cultural Affairs. It is administered and operated by Atelierhaus Dahlem, a non-profit subsidiary of the Bernhard Heiliger Foundation founded in 2013.
Located at the edge of the Grunewald, the building will open as an exhibition venue in summer 2015 following a renovation and dismantling in accordance with historic preservation standards. In advance of the opening, a series of events are planned to enable an interested public to access the building while empty. In addition to a café and a museum shop, there will also be a permanent exhibition on the building’s eventful history, free-of-charge to visitors.
The opening exhibition will focus primarily on the presentation of sculptural works, accompanied by paintings, graphic works, and photography. Chronologically, the exhibition will concentrate on the period from 1945 to the construction of the Wall in 1961. The central historical events of this era include capitulation and occupation, the simmering East-West conflict, the Berlin Blockade and its surmounting by the airlift of Western allies, the division of Germany, the founding of two republics, and the Wall’s construction.