The Dowse Art Museum is a free public gallery for people to enjoy contemporary art and culture.
The 21st century is an exciting time for The Dowse. The future holds opportunities for a new sustainable approach that builds on our foundations as a leader in contemporary art, our high level of engagement with our communities and an enviable gallery space.
It’s time to embrace green technologies and global communications that will enable us to revolutionise our business and our arts related practice while showing leadership in the museum sector and with our public.
Our three guiding principles:
1. A CONNECTED ART PLACE
- Seeking to expand our relevance and reach, The Dowse will continue to grow and actively develop new audiences.
- Adopting a leadership role in sustainable art and business practices, The Dowse will seek to transmit these values and technologies as our contribution to creating sustainable local and national communities.
- Finding synergies between the global and local, The Dowse will build new connections and foster new relationships.
2. EXPLORING MEANINGFUL NEW IDEAS AND INITIATIVES
- Led by our passion for the unique role of art, The Dowse will use new and old ways to deliver art that challenges, questions and provokes while telling us about ourselves and what we can aspire to be.
- Engaged in our quest for excellence and innovation, we will take our communities with us on our journey of discovery and development.
- Committed to behaving in a sustainable way, we will embrace a culture of adopting and adapting new ways of doing things.
3. SUPPORTING OUR MANY COMMUNITIES
- Recognising that as a museum we contribute to society by helping create a sense of place, The Dowse will strengthen its relationship with its communities.
- Drawing on the wealth of cultural and social capital in our communities, The Dowse will bring innovative approaches to the delivery of social and educational benefits.
- Harnessing our belief in the transformational power of art, The Dowse will be highly effective as an educational instrument for community development.