Hen Coleman Black Wood Dorich House Museum Studio Residency
02 May 2019 – 19 Jul 2019
Dorich House Museum
London, United Kingdom
Dorich House is the former studio home of the Russian sculptor Dora Gordine and her husband the Hon. Richard Hare, a scholar of Russian art and literature. Now Grade II listed, the building was completed in 1936 to Gordine’s design and is an exceptional example of a modern studio house designed by and for a female artist. Its principal ground and first floor spaces - a plaster studio, a modelling studio and a gallery – were devoted to the production and display of Gordine’s work. A more modest top floor apartment, with a roof terrace overlooking Richmond Park, served the couple’s domestic needs. Following Gordine’s death in 1991 the house was acquired and renovated by Kingston University. Dorich House Museum holds the world’s largest collection of Gordine’s paintings, drawings and sculpture, and an important collection of Russian art and artefacts, acquired by Gordine and her husband. In the spirit of Gordine’s exemplary life and career, the Museum operates as an international centre to promote and support women creative practitioners. Artist Hilary Lloyd was appointed the inaugural Dorich House Fellow in autumn 2015.