The Origins of British Landscape
01 Jun 2019 – 08 Sep 2019
Bishop Trevor Gallery
Bishop Auckland, United Kingdom
The Bishop Trevor Gallery is named after Richard Trevor, who was Bishop of Durham from 1752 to 1771.
Bishop Trevor played an important role in the story of Auckland Castle, having purchased the series of paintings of Jacob and his Twelve Sons by Francisco de Zurbarán, which have hung in the Long Dining Room at the Castle for over 250 years.
The new gallery is housed in a series of rooms that were once Bishop Trevor’s private apartments. Designed by John Carr (1723 – 1807), who was one of the most renowned architects of the day, they were originally known as the North Apartments and look out across the River Wear in the valley below.
The gallery will house a programme of special exhibitions of fine art, with a focus on European painting from 1600 to 1900. The displays will include masterpieces on loan from private collections and institutions.