In this course you can learn to handle hand tools like bundles and chisels to make your sculpture. We also introduce you to the work with chainsaw and power tools, we propose a diversity in carving techniques to give form to your final work. Wood is a warm material, pleasant to work with, it’s alive and a direct connection to nature. As a raw material it is a challenge with a need for special attention in the whole process from drying to finishing. Working with wood is a continuous dialogue with the material, respecting its unique characteristics to achieve the result we wish. In order to her vision of resource sustainability, Kerstin prefers to work with wood from fallen trees or left overs from the sawmill. Each participant will design, with our support, their own project, plan and choose raw material and the appropriate tool at each step of the process. If you have your own project in mind, please contact us in advance so we can better support your plans.
- Origin of our raw material;
- To look, feel and be inspired by wood;
- Development, planning and realization of your ideas;
- Selecting and preparing the right wood for your project;
- Reflection on aesthetic options;
- Various techniques of sculpture and construction;
- Reflection on surfaces, textures and finishes.
The course fee includes:
- Integration in small working groups (4 to 6 people);
- Training 6 - 8 hours/day with technical assistant, spoken in English and Portuguese;
- Studio open 12 hours a day;
- All materials;
- Shared room accommodation in our Residences (shared house with equipped kitchen, changing room, washing machine and Wifi) or 10% discount for individual accommodation with a minimum of 2 nights;
- Welcome dinner.
Registration deadline: 17 February 2021