The new publication "Unveiling Vazha Pshavela" is the most comprehensive book to date of the poet's works in English. The publication is initiated by Georgian/British artist Andro Semeiko as part of his project investigating notions of self and motherland - through landscape, ethnography, and language of Vazha Pshavela. The poems in the book have been selected to illustrate the poet's powerful, tragic, often Shakespearean force, as well as the development of his ideas and approach to nature, very relevant to ecological politics in the world today. They have been translated by Donald Rayfield OBE. The book includes specially commissioned works by the contemporary Georgian writer Ana Kordzaia-Samadashvili, Georgian fashion designer Manana Antelidze, and the artists Leonid Semeiko and Andro Semeiko, which give a many-sided vision of the poet’s work.
- The event will be opened by the Ambassador of Georgia to the UK, HE Tamar Beruchashvili.
- Donald Rayfield will give a talk about the poet’s work followed by a discussion about the book with Andro Semeiko.
- Golden Globe and BAFTA wining Welsh actress Dame Siân Phillips will read selected poems from the book.
- Maspindzeli Choir will sing Georgian polyphonic songs.
- The artworks featured in the publication will be on display in the gallery.
- The book will be available to purchase during the event.
- Complimentary Georgian Wine and Canapés will be served to the guests.
The event is generously supported by the Embassy of Georgia to the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland and British Georgian Society. Publication of the book was made possible by the generous support from Georgian National Book Center and Arts Council England.