In 1953 Duncan Grant was commissioned to decorate Lincoln Cathedral’s Russell Chantry with a set of murals depicting St Blaise, the patron saint of wool workers.
The mural unveiled in 1959 remained private for a number of years, possibly because Duncan Grant chose to put a little too much of his own life onto the walls, being reopened for public view after restoration in 1990.
The murals were painted at a time in British art history where mural painting was far more likely to occur on secular or municipal buildings and it is partly this that makes Grant's chapel murals a rarity.
The Collection is inviting Lothar Götz to produce a new mural inside a 1:1 scale reproduction of this chapel. The exhibition will include a number of Duncan Grants preparatory studies for his murals and examples of other artworks produced for sacred spaces from Lothar Götz alongside highlights from the Methodist Art Collection.
This exhibition is supported by an academic conference funded through the Paul Mellon/Yale fund with the University of Lincoln (18th March 2016) and a publication funded through the University of Sunderland.