Caroline Streatfield is a painter whose work investigates ideas around memory, history and identity. In her recent series of work, Caroline explores her own familial narratives and her maternal Eastern European heritage.
Caroline’s mother came to London in 1968 from the former Czechoslovakia during the Russian invasion. She did not return until 1989, during the time she was away her family did not have any contact with her and did not know her whereabouts.
This is Caroline’s first solo and is a way of exploring how her ancestors were hidden from her until she herself visited her mothers homeland in 1991 when she was 21.
‘My mother arrived in 1968 with no photographs and growing up there was no internet so I had only my mothers stories to feed my visual imagination; this show is an journey into my memories of imaging what my ancestors were like.’
The show is curated by Reading based artist and OHOS associate artist, Heather McAteer as part of ‘Double Take’, a curatorial swap project.
Awards and shows: 2020: Threads, OHOS (Group show with Joe Packer, David Streatfield, Jennifer Maskell-Packer); Selected for the Affordable Art Fair representing Made in Arts, London; 2019: Ingram Purchase Prize finalist; Shortlisted for the National Open Art Prize; TM Lighting Gallery, London; The Nunnery Gallery, London; 2018: Recipient of the Oppenheim-John Downes Memorial Trust Award
MA Painting (2019) University of the Arts; Openhand Openspace Member artist since 2019.
To visit the exhibition, you will need to book a free thirty-minute timed entry slot. These are available every half an hour from 10:00am to 3.30pm. Please arrive within your thirty-minute timed entry slot. After this, you are welcome to stay at the exhibition for as long as you like.
https://www.eventbrite.co.uk/e/hidden-ancestors-tickets-124011476665?aff=ebdssbeac Please note:
- Please book one ticket per person, of up to a maximum of six tickets per timed entry slot. In line with Government guidelines, please limit your visiting group to members of up to two households or support bubbles only.
- Please have your ticket (either on your mobile device or printed out) ready to show when you arrive.
- Please arrive within your thirty-minute timed entry slot.
- Throughout the gallery, please follow social distancing guidelines.
- Please wear a face covering if you can, in line with government guidelines for gallery visitors.
Your details will be kept for 21 days for NHS Track and Trace.
Openhand Open Space
United Kingdom Events Reading Events Things to do in Reading Reading Arts Events