In September 1894 Nottingham Castle opened a Special Exhibition of Pictures by 'CORNISH PAINTERS of NEWLYN, ST IVES, FALMOUTH, etc'. The exhibition gave a comprehensive overview of a new wave in British art, sweeping in from what seemed at the time to be a remote, little-known area of the country. It aimed to bring to Nottingham the very best paintings that Cornish artists had produced in the preceding 10 years. Paintings were gathered from far and wide, from artists' studios in Cornwall, from the Royal Academy in London and from international exhibitions in Paris, Chicago, Munich and Vienna. Nottingham was quick to buy two major paintings from the exhibition for its own collection. The 2015 exhibition reunites works from 1894 and reappraises this ground-breaking exhibition from the early years of the Castle Museum and Art Gallery for 2015. This exhibition has been kindly sponsored by Messum's.
In partnership with Penlee House Gallery and Museum, Penzance.
If you would like to purchase Cornish Light: The Nottingham 1894 Exhibition Revisited, an exhibition catalogue to accompany the exhibition is available.