Throughout the history of our species, we've found a multitude of ways to understand, celebrate and explore the phenomenon of flight through science, engineering and the arts. But has this all been for the better, or are we soaring too close to the Sun?
For the next Conspire we have brought together experts, artists and dedicated hobbyists, using the theme of Flight as a springboard to educate and provoke our audience.
Doors 6.30pm for a 7.30 start. Limited number of early bird tickets for £3 (enquire for secret password), £5 on the door
* Paolo Viscardi, natural history curator at the Horniman Museum, who will look at the high costs of flight, and how birds make savings
* Lekan Lawal - SBM (performance) - Al has been suspended from the police and is re-evaluating his life. He always wanted to be a comic book artist, so he makes a beautiful graphic novel. In his fictional universe Superman is Black and British, but only has the power of flight.
* Graeme Hutchinson and Catherine Day from the RSPB will talk about swifts, birds which spend almost their entire lives in the air, coming to earth only to raise their young. They'll have some exciting ways of demonstrating quite how breathtaking these creatures are.
* Kelly Ward - Imagined Heights - Kelly will present a multi-sensory live experience which stimulates the audience into a flight of fancy.
* Josh Moos from Plane Stupid will debate the social, economic and environmental impacts of aviation, making reference to this controversial film https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fxis7Y1ikIQ
* Alex AG Britton - 1.9 - Using a combination of storytelling, spoken word, audience interaction and parkour techniques Alex's will share his experiences of this practise with the audience.
* Professor Eric Kaufman of Birbeck College will present on the phenomenon of White Flight.
Conspire is a bi-monthly evening event of talks, performances and demonstrations that aims to spark discussion and find common ground between disciplines. We focus on work that uses unusual creative means to communicate poignant and polemical subjects.
Art form Toggle
Have you been to this event? What do you think? Join the discussion here! Remember, you can include links to your instagram pictures and to videos.