“Artists; they are the only competent rebels of our time” – Boaventura de Sousa Santos
If you’ve ever been stuck?
If you’ve ever questioned where you and your work belong?
If you’ve ever struggled to validate and advocate for your creative practice?
If you’ve ever de-prioritised your creativity only to feel unfulfilled or guilty?
If you’ve ever felt undermined, misunderstood or pressured to create in a way that limits you?
Whatever your discipline, or level of experience: Creative practice matters.
But, the everyday reality can feel bogged down with self-doubt, identity crises, and fear. We lose our inspiration, prioritise other things and feel guilty. We lose our confidence and waste creative time and energy. We lose the joy and freedom of making when we’re pigeon holed or pressured. We feel we have to scramble for validation.
Throughout the month of May, ‘Competent Rebels’ will explore how these very experiences are actually evidence of the importance of your creative practice. How the creative work you do, and the invisible boundaries you push against, build the knowledge that makes change possible.
We’ll bring together creative minds – diverse in discipline, experience and identity – for a month long project to remind you that :You are not alone and your making matters.
We’ll talk about the winding roads of our creative careers; celebrating the backroads and precarious paths we navigate. We’ll be inspired by the creativity and careers of our contributors. We’ll explore what we need to support ourselves in developing creative practice and how we can help each other. Together, we’ll get unstuck, inspired and excited about our work. We’ll re-imagine what it looks and feels like to develop and sustain creative practice.
To join, sign up FREE at https://www.hannahhannahjones.com/competent-rebels
- Exclusive daily content from our contributors exploring why your making matters, straight to you inbox throughout the month.
- Join the discussion and connect in our community facebook group.
- Get inspired by others’ creative journeys, and gain motivation and confidence in your own path.
- Share your thoughts on the future of the Competent Rebels community: Your voice will help shape the actions and initiatives to come.
- Free Ebook containing all project content and the project action plan ensuring you can stay connected and continue to benefit from the community we create.