Renato Costa e Silva, a researcher and storyteller, has sculptures that talk for themselves.
If on one hand they are result of a methodical process of conception, passing from drawings and models to preparation of clay to thorough realization, on the other hand Renato preserves and cultivates a spontaneous modelling process, a pleasure for assumed experimentation tha culminates with the exposure of the work to the action of fire.
Made from specially prepared and optimized clay for each kind of work, his sculptures are an approach to his vision of the world, they show a deep unterstanding of mankind, full of humor and endearment of life.
He builds his first wood firing kiln and opens his ceramic studio in 1980, part of the first generation of portuguese ceramicists who found in contemporary ceramics a way of expression and life. After 40 years of professional activity, with countless exhibitions in Portugal and also abroad from France, Canada, USA, Bermudas and Kuwait, study travels throughout Europe, USA and Japan, Renato continues researching, experimenting and perfectioning firing techniques and materials, and luckily he also likes to share his huge knowledge.
In his courses Renato Costa e Silva always takes us to the center of all inquiry, To study and work under the guidance of this artist is a unique opportunity to gain a deep understanding of the whole ceramic processes.
Together with Kerstin Thomas he will support each student to progress and take home sculptures that reflects not only the achievement of knowledge but also the expression of your personal project.
You will learn
- to develop, plan and execute your ideas
- how to choose and prepare the right clay for each kind of work
- to reflect about aesthetic options
- different ways to build up your sculpture
- about textures and surfaces
- about the enormous possibilities of wood firing
- to fire your work in our Sasukenei - Forno sem Fumo
Renato Costa e Silva Ceramicist and Sculptor
Renato Costa e Silva, ceramicist and sculptor, with 40 years of professional activity has a vast curriculum not only in the area of ceramics but also of large public sculpture in various materials. Born in Angra do Heroísmo, Azores, he lives and works in Angra do Heroísmo and Cerdeira. Renato has carried out an intensive study of clay and ceramic materials has a long experience in the preparation of ceramic pastes and glazes and conducted hundreds of wood firings.
Kerstin Thomas Sculptor
Kerstin Thomas, sculptor for almost 30 years, studied wood carving and sculpture in her home country, Germany. Once in Portugal, she studied Portuguese Language and Culture at the Language Faculty in Coimbra University. With a preference for autochthonous wood, her work is inspired by rural life and the expressiveness of the human face. The construction of the Sasukenei-Smokeless Kiln for high temperature wood fired ceramics in 2015 was the beginning of finding in ceramics a new way of artistic expression. Since tha she started an intensive learning about ceramics and woodfiring to make her sculptures. Co-founder of the Cerdeira Home for Creativity project, she divides her time between her art practice and artistic direction of the project.
- Early Bird 10% discount for reserves (50% payment) until August 28th
- 3% discount for prompt payment granted
The workshop fee includes the following:
- Working in a small group (6-10 pax)
- Tuition of 6 – 8 hours per day with a technical assistant (in english and portuguese)
- Studio open 12 hours per day
- All materials
- Free accomodation in shared room in our Residency House (shared house, fully equipped with kitchen, bathrooms, washing machine, Wifi) or a 10% discount for accommodation in our Private Houses (2 nights minimum)
- Free Welcome dinner
�������������������� ������ ����������������������:
+351 917 321 222