Are you an emerging artist with an ambitious art practice? Do your artworks push the boundaries of contemporary art? Is it your dream to work professionally and gain critical recognition?
Art Idol 2010 is conducting a nationwide search for emerging artists who practise in diverse ways and produce challenging artworks - artists who value the process of making as much as the outcome.
Contenders will come together for a one-day event on Saturday 31 July 2010 in London, UK. In contrast to other art prizes, there will be no panel of so-called expert judges. Instead of critics, curators and collectors, the contenders will decide amongst themselves who should receive a £300.00 cash prize, an exhibition of their artwork in a London gallery - The Magnificent Basement - and the title of Art Idol 2010.
Facilitated by artist Marsha Bradfield, Art Idol 2010 will investigate the complex figure of 'the emerging artist'. The project seeks to explore and embody some of the forces that shape artistic authorship as a social form of cultural production. These forces include art world(s) discourse, organisational structures, and the desires and sensibilities of individual practitioners.
This research project will be framed as a reality-TV type documentary and developed in tandem with a project website. Art Idol 2010 will provide emerging artists with a unique opportunity to have their artworks experienced by their peers, UK art communities and audiences around the world.
Questions should be sent to project facilitator Marsha Bradfield at email@example.com.
WHO IS ELIGIBLE: To apply for Art Idol 2010, you must:
* Be 18 years of age or older
* Be an emerging artist based in the UK
* Enjoy talking about your art practice with your peers and publicly
* Be comfortable being videoed and photographed
* Be available from 9:00 am to 11:00 pm on Saturday 31 July 2010 and for approximately 4 hours before (24 - 30 July) and after (August 1 - 14) for studio visits and interviews. The times of these meetings will be negotiated, as will the location in the case of practitioners with a post-studio practice.
HOW TO APPLY: Please send the following by 15 July 2010:
1. A completed application form
2. A CV in hard copy
3. A maximum of 6 images (jpegs)/sound files/video clips, etc. total of at least 3 pieces of your work accompanied by a hard copy portfolio list. Please include the following for each example on the list: title, date, medium, approximate size, duration (in the case of sound and video). Each sound or video work should not exceed 3 minutes in length. Please indicate on the portfolio list if they are complete artworks or clips from larger artworks. Sound files/video files, etc. should be submitted on a CD/DVD labeled with your name. Images may be digital (on a CD/DVD) or hard copies.
visit www.artidol2010.com for more info
Successful applicants will be notified by 24 July 2010.