Tom Strupinski - 'Rhythm of Life'
The artist left Poland at the age of 6 at the end of the war
as a refugee with his parents, witnessing of the horrors of WW2.
The images reflect ghosts of the past trapped forever, with varying degrees of emotion, some obvious, some not.
The masks are based on a variety of sources, some factual, some imagined, some allegorical:
- the artist’s father and mother (now dead) and the artist as a baby
- Masaccio’s “Adam’s Expulsion from the Garden of Eden”
- Edvard Munch’s “The Scream”
- Death Masks including one from the Aztec civilisation
- Images from newspapers, Arabian woman screaming wearing
the latest Ray Ban sunglasses
- Image from Eisenstein’s film “Battleship Potemkin”, shattered
“A crucial aspect of the individual’s sense of free will is a knowledge of his own past history that does not dominate, overburden or destroy him” (Freud)
Be the the first leave an opinion